2016 Roof Renovation Completed

This year we worked on the roof at the front of the house, the last chimney was also removed.
img_ds_beforeThe old dormers (dach gaube) at the front were removed and replaced with Velux windows, extra windows were installed in the top loft room to let more light in.

img_ds_finish

We learned a lot from working on the roof at the back of the house, so the finish on the front of the house is much better.

img_s_25

Even Debbie got out on the roof to help with the installation.

img_s_50

Installed a new 2€ coin from 2016 with the Sachsen/Dresden image near the top left of the roof. Something for a future builder to find.

Posted in Website | Leave a comment

2015 Replace Windows

We finally had the old windows replaced with modern triple-glazed windows, they  are made by Dietel in Jöhstadt.

We ordered the windows from a local company (Jens Niederle) who measured up and installed the new windows.

IMG_4755The windows at the front of the house have wood effect on the outside and all white on the inside.

At the back of the house the windows are white on both sides.

 

 

We were amazed at the number of people stopping to have a look at the front of the house, as you can see from the photo (taken before all of them were replaced) it has completely changed the look.

Posted in Website | Leave a comment

2015 Building Work

After 3 years of removing old buildings in the garden, we finally got to start working on the house in 2015.

IMG_4771First job completed was to run the final waste pipes from the Keller up to the ground floor and with the pipes ready to go upstairs to where the bathrooms will be.  The pipes on ground floor were buried and used standard waste water pipes.

For the waste pipes to the bathrooms, special sound proofed pipe work is being used.

 

roof_gardensideA major milestone for 2015 was to repair the roof on the garden side,  this half of the roof had been leaking and the old slate tiles were breaking apart.

The roof beams are 120mm thick, the recommended insulation depth for the roof is 180mm.

IMG_4785
Special 60mm insulation sheets (Isover Integra AP SupraPlus) were installed on the outside of the roof, these sheets came covered with water proof material so as soon as the roof was covered it was fully waterproof.

 

 

The roof was finished off using synthetic IMG_4928slates (from TapcoSlate) which resembled real slates but have a better resilience to weathering.

 

 

 

The old dormers (dach gaube) have been replaced with modern triple glazed Velux windows,  an additional window was installed above the top of the stairs and this has made a big difference inside with light flooding onto the stairwell.

Posted in Website | Leave a comment

August 2014

Finally we have finished removing the old buildings from the garden!

IMG_13

 

The view in 2012.

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately theIMG_3138 large barn had too many rotten beams so we decided to  completely demolish it. My dad selected the best beams and planks to create a temporary decking (6m x 4m).

 

 

 

The old 3 floor toilet block at the rear of the house has been demolished and the rubble removed.  The ground floor doorway for the old toilet block has been blocked up and started on the 1st floor.

IMG_01D

The blocking up of the old toilet doorways will be completed in  September 2014.

 

 

 

 

 

We now have an offer price to replace the entire roof (and insulate it) so next step is to request a mortgage to move the rebuilding work forward.

Posted in Website | Leave a comment